5.19.2009

Calling Dr. Pepper


No, not that Dr. pepper.

I have been teaching myself to cook for the last 9 months or so. And, being the wife of a restaurant/chef (sort of), my kitchen is filled with lots of gadgets and "good" knives. All I know, is when we first moved in together I was chastised for attempting to place one in the dishwasher. A mistake I have never repeated.

So, I am not what you would call a natural in the kitchen, or any other place where I am required to wield sharp objects. Maybe my husband is right when he says I have ADD. I like to think I just do a bad impression of the quick knife skills of the chefs on Food Network. But, whatever the case, I cut myself a lot. And, not on purpose.

I asked for a mandolin once some time ago. And, Mr. K sighed deeply and said "I don't think I would feel comfortable with you using a mandolin." I asked again, more recently, and he said he would think about it if we could find one that had a really good safety that would block me from slicing my hand off.

As I said, it isn't strictly knives, its any sharp object. 2 days ago I snipped my finger while giving the dog a trim. And, once I got crazy with a block of cheese a gratered my finger pretty good.

It just occurred to me that no one who reads this will ever eat my cooking again.

Anyway, I found this little tidbit, and thought I would post it for all the other inept wannabe chefs out there.

Next time you nick yourself in the kitchen, reach for the black pepper. Run cold water over the wound to clean it, using soap if you were handling meat. Then sprinkle on the pepper and apply pressure. In no time, the bleeding will stop. Turns out, black pepper has analgesic, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties. Pepper doesn't sting, either!

No comments: