Other scents put on middle-aged models had no effect, Hirsch said, including broccoli, pumpkin pie, banana, cucumbers and spearmint leaves.
Hirsch, a board-certified neurologist and psychiatrist, said grapefruit's aroma has no effect on a woman's perception of a man's age.
Hirsch's study is getting attention all over the country. The researcher doesn't know why grapefruit's scent has such an effect on men and noted perfumes don't have the same effect as grapefruit. "Maybe it induced men to become sexually aroused," Hirsch speculated.
Here are 10 ways to use your grapefruit essential oil:
1. Add 10 drops to your bath water.
2. Add 5 drops to a cotton ball, and place in drawers, closets, etc for a homemade sachet/air freshener. This is also a good one for inside shoes or at the bottom of the kitchen trash can.
3. Make your own body spray. Add 15 drops to a 1 oz. glass spray bottle of spring water. Shake well before each use. This can also double as a room spray or fabric refresher.
4. Add 10 drops to a clean dry rag for a homemade, cost effective, and environmentally friendly dryer sheet.
5. Add 15 drops/oz. to jojoba oil for a homemade after bath moisturizure or massage oil.
6. Make your own, chemical free carpet powder by adding 5 drops per cup of baking soda. Sprinkle over carpets and allow to sit for an hour or so, then vaccum up.
7. Make your own diffuser by putting 1 drop on your light bulbs. The heat will evaporate the oil, and fill the room with fragrance. Just don't try it on halogen!
8. You can add 1 drop to a tealight to make your own scented candles.
9. You can add a few drops to the rinse water of your dishes or when cleaning out the refridgerator.
10. Grapefruit is uplifting and rejuvinating. Why not spend 15 minutes in the morning just inhaling the scent. Clothes your eyes, breathe deep, and get ready for the day.
In addition to smelling great, grapefruits are also great for you! Check out my previous post on grapefruits but clicking here.