7.01.2012

Celery Smelery

I want to begin this post by stating that I hate celery. Like, I even hate the smell of it. In ancient times physicians believed that the worse something smelled the better it was for you...so celery was particularly prized.

So why blog about it?

Well, I recently came across 2 interesting tidbits that intrigued me.

First,  celery requires more calories to eat and digest than it contains. Meaning you burn calories just eating it. Virtually no other foods can claim this!


One cup of celery had 18 calories and no fat!! It has a high water content and is high in fiber.

Celery should be eaten often because it is one of the best foods for keeping the body well. It neutralizes acids and is a good blood cleanser. It has protective properties that are beneficial to both the brain and the nervous system. Celery is an excellent food for people suffering from arthritis, neuritis, and rheumatism. It can help to clear up high blood pressure.

Despite all the health benefits, I can really only tolerate celery cooked in soups and such. But, if you do like celery raw...EAT UP!!

The second celery factoid I came across was that you can regrow celery! As in buy a stalk at the grocery store cut off the bottom few inches, plant it in the ground, and ....BAM! More celery!! I just thing that's pretty cool. You can read more about it here. If you attempt this successfully please post it in the comments.



No comments: