9.30.2012

Homemade Apple Chips

These were really easy to make and yummier than I would have expected. Someone asked me for the recipe recntly, so I am posting it here in step by step format.

1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees

2) I used a  Gala or Fuji apple. I can't for sure remember which one, but those are my 2 favorite varieties, so I know it was one of those. I washed it, and left the skin on, but you could peel it if you prefer.

3) Slice apple thin, maybe 1/8"?? I didn't measure, but I used my mandolin on the thinnest setting. I, also, wanted them to be on the bite size end so after my mandolin did it's job I cut the whole apple slices in half. This might be personal preference, the thinner you slice the crispier the chip will be.

4) In a bowl combine 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup white sugar. You could add other spices you like such as nutmeg or apple pie spice.

5) Line a baking sheet with foil (I used a Sil-pat) and place the apples down in a single layer. Sprinkle 1/2 the sugar mixture over the apples. I did this pretty carefully with clean hands so I could make sure it was ON the apples not the spaces in between.

6) Bake. I cannot give an accurate time on this since I just kept checking on them while I went about doing other things. So...I would check on them every 30 minutes or so. And when they are about 1/2 the size you started with, flip them over and Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture on the other sides, and bake an additional 30 minutes or until "crispy".

7) Turn off oven and allow chips to cool completely in the oven. Remove and enjoy!!

No comments: