12.05.2008

Mrs. K's Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers



Those of you who know me well, know that I am a catalogue junkie. Especially at Christmas! I love it! You get some of the most unique gifts imaginable, and sometimes for cheap!

Anyway, my Aunt Irene always remembers us at Christmas. And now that we live far apart and almost never see one another...our exchanges at Christmas usually consist of some yummy treats!

I came across chocolate covered graham crackers one year in one of my catalogues and sent them off to her. They were from Crate & Barrel so I am sure they were good, since they are my favorite store! But, even though I knew they were good, I did say to myself "I just spent $25 on chocolate covered graham crackers"!

So, I decided to recreate their awesomeness for much much less. And, I did! Here is the recipe, and I really encourage you to try it. I made them a few weeks ago with my grandmother, and we put 2 in those little Christmas cellophane bags and tied them with pretty ribbons. She gave them as a gift for her friends at the senior center. And, 2 is plenty, since they are very rich!

Ingredients:
a box graham crackers, any kind
a bag of chocolate chips, any kind
1 cup of confectioner's sugar, divided
about 1/4 cup of milk or cream, divided
red & green food color
wax paper

Directions:
1. Break the graham crackers in half, so they are squares, not rectangles.

2. Divide the sugar into two parts. One for red and one for green. Add the milk a tiny bit at a time. You want it to be able to lift up a spoonful, and let it run off quickly, but NOT be watery. Once you get a good consistancy, add the food color for a red and green drizzle once the cookies are cool. Set aside.

3. Lay out sheets of wax paper to place the cookies on once you have dipped them, so they can cool.

4. Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. If you decide to do white chocolate or something other than a variation of regular chocolate, you may need to add milk or cream to get it smooth.

5. Once the chocolate is smooth, remove it from the heat, and start coating the squares. The chocolate will be EXTREMELY hot, so try not to use your fingers. Tongs, spoons, and skewers work well. Coat all sides, and lay on the wax paper to cool.

6. Allow to cool until chocolate is firm and matte. Drizzle with red and green frosting, and allow to set over night in the refridgerator.

No comments: