6.03.2008

Homemade Shampoo?

The other day Mr. K's mom sent me an email. Basically chronicling what people did or used in 1908 for different things.

What a difference 100 years makes!

What struck me most about the email, besides feeling lucky that my annual household income is more than $200, was that some of the things they used out of necessity are what we are trying to get back to. The people who are going green or choosing organic today, are simply looking for ways to get back to simplicity and back to nature.

What made me happy was that so many of the cleaning recipes I have posted here, are from ingredients that have been around for well over 100 years and are NATURAL.

For example the email says that people used to use eggs and borax to clean their hair...which got me thinking.

If I am cleaning the house naturally, why not myself?

You may have heard, or even tried, some homemade hair care remedies. Eggs. Mayonnaise. Beer. Essentially, it is the protein and oils that make these ingredients good for our hair.

Anyway, I scoured the web for some of the more simple recipes and sites, so you can go natural on your haircare too!

Check it out!

How To make homemade shampoo and conditioners eHow.com

Home Made Shampoo by risingsun

If you're not up for making your own shampoos and conditioners, why not try a healthier version? There are lots of alternatives to the ones you pick up at the grocery store, which are more times than not tested on animals.

Here are some Organic options to try:

Organic Bath Co.

All Natural Bath & Body Care Products - by Elayne's Garden

LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics -- Welcome

Official Site of Inara® Organic Body Care

2 comments:

SoapLady said...

Thank you Mrs. K for the mention and link to Elayne's Garden Organics, a USDA certified organic body care company. As its founder, I would like to send you a free shampoo bar. It truly is simple and natural, just as you say. There's nothing quite like organic olive oil to lift dirt and residue from the hair shaft and at the same time promoting healthy, clean, incredibly shiny hair. Please let me know where to send your complimentary bar.

Mrs. K said...

YAY