5.25.2008

Shopping

I went grocery shopping today. Normally not a big deal, but it was my first trip since I became organic.

First I went to Costco and then I went to Whole Foods. I rarely go to Costco and I only recently switched from Albertson's to Whole Foods. We spent about $150. between the two, but I would estimate we only really shop on a monthly basis.

The main reason I went to Costco was for my new natural cleaning supplies. This is the old me rearing her ugly head, but atleast I waited unitl I used up the other bad chemically ones.

Here is what I got:
  • 5 lbs. bag of lemons ($9.00)

  • 2 gallons of white vinegar ($3.00)

  • 4 giant bottles of rubbing alcohol ($5.00)

  • 2 10lbs bags of baking soda ($10.00)

Grad total: $27.00. If all goes to plan, that is ALL of our cleaning products for the month, and I cannot tell you how much cheaper! I use Fabreeze (used to) like crazy and its about $5.00 a bottle! I did buy some other regular groceries, and I was really surprised at how many choices there were for organics...butter, milk, veggies, soup, PB, etc. Good for them!

Here are the cleaning recipes I found and don't forget to go back and read about the lemons.

Toilet bowl cleaner: Mix ¼ cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar, pour into toilet, let set for 5 minutes, then scrub with brush.

All-purpose cleaner: Place 4 tablespoons baking soda in 1 quart warm water and shake well.

Oven Cleaner: Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon salt, and add 1/2 cup hot water. Make a gritty paste, apply to the oven, heat slightly, cool and then wipe away with a damp rag.

Kitchen Cabinets: 1/4 cup of lemon juice mixed with 1 quart of hot water. Lemon juice helps to remove grease from wood and metal.

Glass Cleaner: 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar mixed with 1 quart of water in a spray bottle. To remove oily fingerprints and hairspray from the mirror, dab on a little rubbing alcohol and wipe with a linen rag.

Laundry Detergent for Dark Clothes: use 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of salt. Salt helps restore faded colors, and to remove dirt and grime.

Laundry Detergent for White Clothes: use 1/4 cup washing soda (sodium carbonate) in place of bleach. Bleach is one of the most toxic substances for the environment. Washing soda costs only a few pennies per wash load, and it is far less expensive than bleach. Along with the washing soda, add 1/4 cup of white vinegar.

Read more here.

No comments: